welcome

A blog about dog behavior and training...and all other things dog!

Friday, July 24, 2009

Healthy Homemade Dog Treats for Training ...or just indulging your pet.

As a dog trainer, I’m always looking for new and “irresistible” dog treats for motivating my four-legged clients. As a “Dog Mom,” I’m always looking for healthy snacks to pass out to my little furry kids. And as someone who likes cooking and baking, I’m frequently experimenting in the kitchen, trying to find new ways to fulfill my needs as a trainer and dog mom. To that end, I’ve developed a recipe for “Doggie Liver Brownies” that my dogs and my client dogs really love. There are all kinds of liver brownie recipes out there, but I played around with ingredients until I developed one that passed the discriminating taste test of the dogs (and cat) in my world, and that I knew would be healthy for them as well.

Although I know we’re in the nasty heat of the summer and very few people want to turn on their ovens right now, I decided to share this recipe with you. You don’t need to have the oven on for too long, and your pets are guaranteed to love, Love, LOVE!!! these treats.
“Bone” appetit!


Ingredients:
1 ½ lb Organic Chicken Livers (I use Rosie organic Chicken liver)
1 c. whole wheat flower
½ c. oat bran
1 ½ c rice flour
1 ½ tsp Garlic Powder (omit if you are feeding cats)
2 organic eggs w/eggshells (make sure they are clean & organic)
2 Tbsp canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp organic Kelp and/or Dulse powder (optional, but very healthful)


Note: when possible use all organic ingredients, but the really important ones are the ones I specify in the recipe. You can also substitute other types of flour or grain products if your dog has a specific grain allergy.

Chop up liver and put into blender. Add eggs w/shells, pumpkin and olive oil. (Blend well to insure the eggshells are well processed -- they're a great natural source of calcium.)

Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Add in blended ingredients from the blender and mix well. Pour into greased 9 inch square pan. Bake in 325 degree oven for approximately 20-25 minutes. Brownies are ready to come out of the oven when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. You could also use a jelly roll pan (high sided cookie sheet) but check earlier and more frequently to ensure brownies don’t burn.
Cool slightly, then cut into brownie squares. Refrigerate portions that will be used with 2 days and wrap the rest tightly for freezing.


Now go out and train your dog!
...or just share some treats with him for being so sweet and lovable.

Comments? Suggestions? Share your healthy snack ideas...


2 comments:

  1. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my comment. I don't know what to
    say except that I have enjoyed reading and Being a person who is actively interested in dog training, I like to see this kind of quality information available on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good information. My wife and I found this blog and like reading. You give good information, it is nice to see one who is so careing about animals.

    ReplyDelete