welcome

A blog about dog behavior and training...and all other things dog!

Friday, July 24, 2009

Dental Procedure for Dog's Behavioral Problems? It's called "canine disarming."

Big day in dog news it seems. Imagine my surprise when I learned this new term “canine dental disarming” from the LA Times today. Whaaa…? Yes, you read that right, apparently the owner of an American Eskimo dog has decided that the only way to keep her dog from biting is to “reduce and blunt the incisors, lessening the bite effect.”
OMG! REALLY?!!!

This just offends me in so many ways...

First of all, they were quick to point out that she was forced to do this despite trying many suggestions from experts to help her with her dog…she even worked with the great Cesar Millan (insert big impressed sigh of course…) ….uhhh...well...except…..the techniques that CM uses for aggression are actually more likely to INCREASE aggression, not decrease it. Yep, that’s right folks, it’s the truth…no, not just my humble opinion….read what the American Veterinary Society of Animal Behavior has to say about him: http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/

you'll probably end up here: http://www.4pawsu.com/dogpsychology.htm

And the plain truth of it is that I could site many, many, MANY outstanding authorities in the animal behavior world with degrees and scientific data and studies and all that stuff, who would all tell you that what he does can significantly increase the likelihood of aggression (among other damaging effects.) So, it’s possible…now I just said possible mind you, that “Ceasar’s Way” has had something to do with why this problem is so out of hand.

But I don’t really want to make this all about that hack (oops! did I say...I mean write that out loud?) I really wanted to just point out that management might be a better, and dare I say more humane, and maybe even more sane way of dealing with this problem. I mean really, she’s putting her dog under the knife for a behavior issue. One that probably stems from the dog's insecurity and fear anyway and one that will most likely get worse now that she’s putting him through this trauma. Plus, now he can just practice, practice, practice that behavior because “Hey! He can’t hurt anybody right?!”

...Ummm…yeah but, have you ever heard the term, “practice makes perfect?”

I’m sure she loves her dog, and I’m sure she believes she's doing the right thing, but let me just say, “what the fu**?!!” (that’s, what the fuss, of course.) I mean if the problem was that bad, I wish she'd explored some managment options...and perhaps gotten the help of a qualified Veterinary Behaviorist?

Anything but...well, you know...

You can read more about this story in the L.A.Times.

Click on the title for this post, it will take you right to it.


Okay, hit me with your best shot...I know I've piss off some "Millanites" here. Let's hear what you have to say. Agree? Disagree? Doesn't matter really, cuz I'm open to anything (without profanity) that you have to say. After all, you know what they say about opinions...........................: everybody has one. Comments please. And please cast your vote on our survey.

2 comments:

  1. hmmmmm. So does that mean that if I were to wrap the bullet in cotton it would soften the blow when I shot someone? What does it mean now to people when the dog bites them? Well, it hurts like hell, it bruised the bone, but at least I didn't bleed. Much.

    How does this solve ANY problems? They have not addressed anything but the dog's teeth! It still bites, and still has aggression problems. People still have to be aware of the dangers, the owners still have to manage the dog, or do they now allow the dog to just bite.

    If the owners have TRUELY attempted to fix this dog's behavior problems and are unable to treat the animal, isn't it cruel to keep it alive? It seems to me that an animal with such a level of untreatable aggression would likely not be very happy. As dogs are social creatures, wouldn't this fly in the face of b eing social? The dog now needs to be tied up and isolated, not very social, or fun. If it is more than poor training then what a horrible way to live out your life.

    Don't get me started on the medical industry. Enough with the playing god bit. "Oh you can't train fido? Let us alter him with medications and surgery." Yes, I read that the American Veterinary Association opposes this, but the dental board doesn't. AAAAARRRRRGGGGGG....

    Train the dog! If there is something mentally wrong (i.e. the dog is mentally challenged or unstable) don't let it suffer.

    Well written, I think you brought an important subject to us here. Hope I wasn't to long in my responce. Keep 'em coming!

    Oh, hahaha, practice makes perfect. The dog is going to have to practice some new approaches to biting. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm certain you'll piss off the "Hail Cesar's" of the world but the owner has not addressed the specific behavior. By removing the teeth or even making them blunt won't that create a whole new set of issues? I'm clearly not a dog trainer but I see a whole new can of worms being opened. And what about the Vet who will do the surgery, what is he / she really seeing? Was a alternative method suggested? Or does it now become about $$$$????

    Very well written article, that I'll be sharing with friends.

    ReplyDelete